Thursday, May 27, 2010

Your little brother

Dear Brendan,



Well, it seems like this whole pregnancy (your little brother), daddy and I have been saying things like “I hope he doesn’t have ____ like Brendan”. It almost sounds like we are hoping that your brother is nothing like you.


That’s not the case. So I wasn’t to list all the things we want/hope your little brother has in common with you.


We hope that he has your eyes. You had the most gorgeous grey/blue eyes.


We hope he has your eyelashes. Everyone commented that you had the longest eyelashes ever. I love them!


We hope that your little brother has your smile. You had the cutest smile. I loved it when you would smile in your sleep. We have the sweetest memories of you smiling randomly. One of these days I am going to figure out what you were dreaming about.


We hope he has your attitude. I know a lot of people are going to say that babies are babies and have no real attitude, but I disagree. You were so relaxed. You slept, ate, and for the most part stayed calm. The only things you didn’t like were getting your diaper changed, and you got cranky when you were hungry.


We hope that your brother is a fighter like you. You fought until the last minute. You never gave up. You knew, as did your dad and I that eventually you would end up in heaven. You fought to come home from the hospital so we could be a family for a short time. You never gave up. You are now up in heaven, enjoying everything that God has for his children.


We hope that he is as charming as you. I can’t tell you how many nurses you won over. I know that Ester loved you. She was your nurse after your last 2 surgeries. She loved taking care of you. Then there were the nurses, RTs, and everyone else at Health Bridge that fell in love with you: Misty, Sunny, Shannon, Diana, Mercedes, they all loved coming to say hello to you and giving you kisses. The night nurses loved how mellow you were at night. They told me that when you were upset at night (which was rare) they would go into your room and hold you when mommy wasn’t there.


Finally, I hope your brother looks like you. I think he will. After all, the Mayo gene is dominant. I want to be able to say to him “You look just like your brother!” You were a handsome little man.


Brendan, I want you to know that while there were things medically wrong with your body, you were perfect. Remember what mommy said before? God doesn’t make mistakes. God knew what he was doing. Mommy and daddy are so proud of you. You have taught us so much about life, love and God. We can’t wait to meet your brother. You two have fun in heaven until October.

No comments:

Post a Comment