Saturday, September 4, 2010

Update on my cousin Jeremy

So, It looks like they have a name (finally) for the infection that Jeremy has. It is called Lemierre's Syndrome and it is incredibly rare. Only 160 cases reported in the last 100 years. Here is a link to the wikipedia page if you want more info, but I am warning you, they talk about pus. click here to read about the pus.


My mom told me that Jeremy is getting treated with strong antibiotics, and is still in the ICU. The doctors may have to excise (clean out) his jugular vein to fully get rid of the infection, but we aren't sure if that is needed right now.


My mom also reported that Jeremy is sitting up in bed and able to eat a little, which is a great sign! I mean, let's be honest, it's my family, and we all love food! But I imagine that having a sore throat where you can barely breathe because you have a pus filled abscess draining fluid into your lungs makes it hard to swallow, and thus renders food completely unappealing. 


So that's the update. Jeremy's white blood cell count is still high, and the doctors are trying to get it down, but for now, Jeremy is doing okay.


I am bummed that he is all the way in California, because I would love to go see him and tell him that only he would find some rare disease and stump doctors for a few days. He is such a show off. Always trying to one up me.


Well, congrats Jeremy, you scored one this time.




Jeremy, Jared (my other cousin- to tell you about him would take another blog post entirely, but I can tell you that he is a pain in my butt, and that's why I love him) my Grandfather, and my aunt at my wedding 6 years go. This is the only picture I have of Jeremy. He hates getting his picture taken, as does his brother. Like I said, pains in the butt, both of them.




No comments:

Post a Comment