Saturday, April 16, 2011

Why I breastfeed

Although some moms choose to formula feed for one reason or another, I am thankful that I was able to breastfeed. Here's why.


1. Because I hate doing the dishes.

2. Because I love that it means I get extra snuggle time with my little man.


3. Because my grandmother has (but is in remission for) breast cancer. For those of you that don't know, breast feeding reduces the risk of breast cancer the longer that you do it.


4. Because I can eat oreos (Double Stuf), fried chicken, and ice cream, and still loose weight. I lost 30 pounds in 3 weeks with Brendan and 50 pounds in 2 months with Dylan. And I am still loosing, albeit a little slower now that I can down an entire bag of Double Stuf Oreos in one sitting. A personal best!


5. Because I am cheap. Formula is expensive. Do you know how many Coach purses I could buy with the money I am saving? Ahem. I mean, I am saving for Dylan to go to a great college. 


6. Because breastfeeding your child passes on immunities that makes them healthier. My child has not gotten sick and he is almost 7 months old. Which works out for me because I am so not a fan of cleaning up someone else's throw up.


7. Because breast milk tastes like the food I eat. It changes daily. Which means that Dylan will grow up liking green beans, broccoli and peas. Okay, he will also like oreos and ice cream, but who's counting.


8. Because I am the laziest person on earth. I love that at 4 in the morning I can walk into Dylan's room when I hear him fuss, pull down my shirt and fall asleep in the rocking chair while he eats.


9. Because I am the most forgetful person on earth. I never have to remember to bring bottles, formula and water with me wherever I go. Thankfully my boobs are attached to me, otherwise I am sure I would forget those, too!


10. Because seriously, I am the laziest person on earth. I really do hate dishes, and the thought of walking downstairs at 4 in the morning makes me want to cry. 


11. And I also hate the idea of remembering to buy formula. Do you know how many times Jeff and I have run out of something as important as milk or bread in the house just because I was day dreaming and forgot to go to the grocery store? My child would starve.


12. Because with parents like me and Jeff, this child is probably going to be allergic to air. Breastfeeding reduces allergies in babies, including food allergies. I am not sure how my life would go on if I couldn't make my famous brownies for my kids. 


13. And lastly, breastfed babies have a lower risk of obesity as children and adults, and with all the oreos and brownies mommy will have around the house, this kid will need all he help he can get.

3 comments:

  1. Lets get personal here... do you pump so Jeff can have the wonderful bonding experience of feeding his little man? At least that way you can get a little break if you wanted to anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate pumping, but I do it when necessary, like when I have a girls night. But for the most part, no. I pumped exclusively for three months with Brendan because he couldn't latch on. So with Dylan I was so excited that he could breastfeed that I just bf 99% of the time. :) Jeff gets to bond with Dylan in every other way. He loves that I bf and is the most supportive husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breastfeeding is good, between that and the genes you inherited from your family, Dylan will live well into his 90's.

    And you'll still be around to have him take care of you and Jeffe.

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete